Thursday, August 25, 2022

Aloes in Afrikaans

I had an accidental name idea. I was using iNaturalist to help identify a friend's potted plant--which it thought may be a Lace Aloe--when I scrolled down under taxonomy to the Names section and saw that one of the names for the plant in Afrikaans was Baardaalwyn. That kind of felt like it went in with the other host of God and Archon names I've compiled so far, so I threw it down on dot paper and started playing with the construction. After scratching out a few variations, I decided, for now, Bardinwal will do, and while I was excited to throw it into the mix of religious icons, the little voice in my head threw an article in front of it and decided calling something "the Bardinwal" would sounds a bit cooler. This got me thinking... it would be a good replacement for either Buordo or Burcumsy in Malidine. I'm leaning on Burcumsy, as then "the Bardinwal" could refer to the high place south of the Folstroms that the city sits upon.

I've been trying to edit Rethwara's name into sounding less taken from Hindu terminology. It wasn't meant to be, but I think my subconscious voice may have unintentionally drew inspiration too directly from it. Being already a god with the suffix -war, I thought I'd drop the -a in similar style and altered it to Othwar for the time being. Still, I'm not yet satisfied and it'll go under the knife again. Laakin-Taakin will definitely get played with again, too. I hate it.

I've slightly updated the Archon of bones from Visko (based on a childhood character Viscombris) to Voskos, sounding more Jhordo-Sasni. 

I really want to look back through more childhood characters and locations and see what can't be upcycled. 

I'm trying to fix my laptop at the moment, which is where I've been doing most of my writing and all of my drawing. I'm recovering from surgery, though, so I haven't felt like giving it my all. When I get it going again, I want to settle back into art and get used to Photoshop again, since it came free for three months with the laptop and I'll end up paying for the subscription soon, to my own chagrin. I want to dig out my childhood sketchbooks and redraw the silly old doodles in them for shirts and grackles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment