Wednesday, August 10, 2022

A Ramble About Malidine

 I've already very slightly reorganized the decans within the calendar. Their elements/Gods remained the same... I think it was only swapping two of the Earths and two of the Sounds. 

Let me tell you something, though.

I'm sick of the decans/archons. I'm desperate to think about something else. I'm actually itching to draw and, after rereading the Mirror of Stone short stories and the partially made Bolin's Folly story, write. Production over worldbuilding.

I'm only frustrated that today is the last of my two days off and, due to work exhaustion collapsing me into a midday nap and a therapy appointment that wasn't cancelled until the last moment, I lost most of my other one. 

I had a neat idea, though.

I'm imagining a third era city built into and/or over a second era quarry that may or may not have been produced by a first era machination. If built over, I could see the lower being the slums. Anyway, it would be like an abandoned quarry that has filled with water over time. Travelling the lower pools would require small boats and long poles. 

Burcumsy was supposed to be a city built on three plateaus with slums between them (think similar to Thunder Bluff from World of Warcraft but before it was cool--aka because I was a kid and it didn't exist yet) so this could be a really cool replacement. Imagine, it could chain into the Malid "prison pits" that are still guarded by reworked mechs from the first/second era. It would be nice for Burcumsy--whatever it would end up being called--to have relevance again. It was an important city for Malidine in the past. Malidine itself is hardly relevant anymore, because of so much retired (mostly high fantasy) content. Burcumsy was initially important due to a river flowing out of one of the only entrances to the "Dwellings," an underground nation that I've passed on to my cousin and his fantasy domain. It was the only route of trade between the two nations.

Outside of the topic of that city, there was once an "Illusory Forest" that was this dense forest permanently blanketed by a very thick mist. It sat directly in the center of Malidine and had four rivers running from it in fairly cardinal directions--or running into it, rather. I just recalled the river that passes Burcumsy did ultimately flow into that forest and out of it to the south. The forest itself was guarded by Arkvunda, who is now Aowar, the God of Body. Back then, she was a serpent with strange legs that she used as footing on trees as she wound through the misty woods, permanently guarding what was in the center. The ruin in the middle was Calle Dhima, which will still exist, likely in Malidine. The magic corruption from the original first era ruins kept the crater filled with water and frozen. The three tall buttes that stood around the ruins were stuck in an unnatural arctic limbo. Those buttes now exist in the bay at the mouth of the Heskegi river, a less unnatural arctic terrain for them. I don't know what will keep people out of Calle Dhima now or if they're unknown like they once were.

A later development were the Kespol trolls, but trolls have been moved to their own realm and entirely separate saga. They certainly don't live in Malidine anymore. I'm not sure if their swamps will remain, though. They were added to Malidine as part of old migration maps I had drawn out.

--- 

For the last few hours, I've been distracted reading about ancient mineral usage. I just learned about Chinese oracle bones and cinnabar's use not only as ink, but as sculpted, beautiful "ink sticks." This world is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment